Thursday, December 4, 2014

Story Gatherer

A few months ago I was asked if I wanted to be on the story telling initiative at my church. I had no idea what that meant, but knew that if there was a team working to tell and gather stories, I wanted to be part of it.
I meet with a small group, and we have been working towards growing our church in the vein of story telling.  How do we tell them? How do we gather them? How can we be a safe place for people to share pieces of their lives with us? It's been a fun and powerful experience to discuss such a simple concept that holds such weight.


I can think of no greater honor than to be dubbed a facilitator of stories.  If I could write my epitaph, I'd love for it to read: She gathered stories to her like flowers, and in turn shared those from her own garden. 
I truly believe that in the telling of our stories, from the coffee shop blunder, to the deeper, more visceral  chapters of abuse or rejection, we spin webs into the lives of others that connect us in a way that can't be achieved without them. Making space in your life for stories from the lives of others is the most powerful way to honor people.  We are designed for hearing them and sharing them- HONY (Humans Of New York) has made a huge splash in our culture by telling short stories of people walking along the streets of NYC.  We devour the stories, we add to them, and speculate the ending by the dress, stance, and few words spilled from a heart ready to share a little part of themselves with the world.

Stories move us to action, they connect us to one another in an emotional sense.  Our empathy, and compassion can be pinged by a well told story.  Stories humanize us, and if we allow ourselves to listen, then we often are moved out of judgement and into grace.  Stories open wide the heart to allow it to fill with love, and understanding, and it pulls forth the pieces of emotion that we have experienced in other situations that can attach to the experience being shared with us.  Stories can caution us, and prevent us from walking roads that would damage our souls, which then keeps us from trouble. They teach us, they grow us, they connect us and they can change us.

It's always confused me when people tell me that they 'hate people'.  We've all heard that from someone in our lives, and while I understand the surface level of defense against more pain from the hands and words of other people, I think that avoiding people, hating them, and being defensive against them creates a void in the soul meant to be filled by connecting with others. Our story is the treasure we carry with us. It's the way we can see God move in one another, it's the way we relate; and to avoid people, and consequently their stories, we miss the richness offered to us by listening.

I have had powerful times where I've found myself in someones story- and in their telling, I discover places in me that need attention, and grace, and love to heal.  When I hear my experience fall off of someone elses lips, and I can see myself there, I am often changed, and encouraged that my experience doesn't end here. I can see and hear my own future when I listen to stories of others- and the places they've walked ahead of me. It infuses me with hope and I learn once again, in the daily dosing I seem to require, that I am not alone.


Listening is sacrificial. It sets aside self for the gift of space for a heart.  It makes room in us for more love, less self, and more God. It's the honoring of their soul, their heart, and their experience. It takes time, and energy. But in gathering stories to ourselves… in making room in our lives to hear the experience of others, we are nourished in ways that make every moment worth it.
Look around… people are longing for us to hear them.  It's one of most precious gifts we can give to another soul.  Safety, freedom, and time.

No comments: