Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Timing is Everything

I love that God works in my life in really active, personal ways.
I got an encouraging email yesterday at the perfect time.  It held the words I needed to hear to soothe my heart and I am so grateful for the gift.
I wanted to share some of it with you- I asked her if that was ok, and she gave me permission.

(A handful of years ago. :) )

Heather, I don't know if you remember me, but I have vivid memories of you. You were this beautiful, graceful, almost gossamer creature. Anyways, you were so young and I was one of the older mothers in MOPS (Mothers Of Preschoolers) just struggling with so much more than I could handle and, as it turns out, much more than I even realized.
I read your blog the other day. I read several entries before I realized that I had known you at one time. The reason I write is my story is so close to yours. After 27 years of marriage, I too found out that my life had been a lie for at least a while but more than likely most of my marriage. My divorce became final a month shy of my 29th anniversary. He never wanted to try to fix what was broken and morphed into someone I didn't know. God knows I tried to save my marriage. That awful day when my entire world crumbled was just over 4 years ago. Reading your blog was so cathartic. I don't have small children anymore; I can't imagine going through all of the mess with little eyes and hearts involved. I hope I haven't bored you or made you relive hard times. I just can't talk about it anymore because I'm supposed to have "moved on". I do have a male friend - he has made me feel loved and wanted again. But the pain still is there; I'm beginning to think it always will be there. Please continue to write. The tears I cry reading your story are comforting in a way. I hope that doesn't come off wrong. But I don't have anyone to talk to about this anymore and even though the conversation is one sided with you writing and me reading, it gives such comfort knowing I'm not alone. I'm sure so many people have told you how young you are and you'll have plenty of time to be happy - as true as that is - it doesn't touch your here and now. It does nothing to fix the shattered dreams and the broken pieces of your life and the kids' lives. Know that you have a prayer warrior on your side now because of your willingness to be transparent. Without trying to sound overly dramatic, I love you and am ever so grateful you decided to write about something so personal and painful.


I can't tell you how perfectly timed this email was. I was so grateful that she took time out of her day to encourage me. This is why I write. I love what Brene Brown says- There are no more powerful words in the English language than 'Me too'. Each of us walk through struggle and hurt while we're here. I've learned that pain doesn't discriminate and every person you meet will have a place in them that aches- but knowing your pain is understood a bit, or normalized some, or shared by another, is one of the best remedies for isolation. I share some of my story because I know that my story is not unique. It's filled with players who hurt and who've hurt each other. It's full of missed opportunities for grace, and moments of wounding. But it's far from unique or isolated. We all hurt sometimes, and we all wish we could go back and do things differently based on the knowledge we have now. The reality is, that as sweet Maya Angelou said "When we know better, we do better."
Thanks for being here with me. You can't know how much it matters.

A few years older. I know better, and I'm trying to DO better! 



No comments: