Wednesday, January 1, 2014

bandwagon jumping

there is a trend going around where people choose a word for the new year and purpose to live towards the goal stated. it's a noble trend, one with good fruit and solid focus. more noble perhaps than simply bullet point resolutions, and more laser focused than a list of things to address.  the one word can create a theme to live under... a more intentionally created atmosphere by which to order choices.

i've never done it.

i have a committment problem with things like that.... my adhd-like brain tends to feel confined and boxed in with decisions like these, and so instead of engaging in the trend, i have avoided it.  i've enjoyed reading words other people have chosen and have been enlightened with new vocabulary and also delighted by some of the unexpected words i've seen scroll through my facebook feed.  but i didn't think of joining in or even considering what 'my word' might be.

but sometimes, things happen on their own. organically, quietly... without pomp and circumstance. without pressure.
it happened that way for me this year.

i have a word... and it came into my spirit without effort and without drama. my word for 2014 is resolved. 

resolved means:  to come to a definite or earnest decision about; determine (to do something): I have resolved that shall live to the full. - 

by the way- the sentence given?  that was the example given in the dictionary- it wasn't mine.  amazing how it fits so snugly into my intention though, isn't it? 

this year i will do hard things.  last year my word would have been survival.  i made it through.  i survived. i kept my head above water - barely- and was able to live.  but i'm done surviving.  in order to push through to thriving, i have to work. hard. in ways i never have had to work before.  i have to do those things i know i am supposed to do. i have to sacrifice in order to make a way for myself and my children. i have to fight hard to thresh out my path in this world, and to ensure that i do not slip backwards into poverty, depression, rejection and then become a statistic.  i refuse to lay my life down just because my road has taken a turn in the opposite direction of where i thought i was headed.  instead...i will find the journey i am meant to travel and this will be my year's verse:

Your ears will hear a word behind you, "This is the way, walk in it," whenever you turn to the right or to the left.

Isaiah 30:21


i feel that i have a smeared, dusty vision of what my life might look like over the next months... but i am anxious and excited to see how things will unfold.. i am holding tight to following the path meant for me. i am resolved to do my work. 


1 comment:

April said...

I've done the one word thing a few times...the one I remember most is CHOICE...my One Word post for this year is here

http://carelessinthecareofgod.com/new-year/

there is power in your word...how is it going so far?